Sunday, May 24, 2015

Free music to new teachers who are opening a studio

Free Music to teachers who are opening a studio
I am giving away free music to get new teachers started in their studio. If you are a new teacher or a recent graduate in dance and want to get started with a studio please call me (or internationally email me) and I will help you pick out a Danc'eM program for your new studio and I will give it to you for free!
When I was young, I danced professionally in summer stock, night clubs, in NY and in touring companies. I moved back to my home town and started a dance studio. I really didn't know that much about how to do that but I just jumped right in and rented a place, ordered mirrors, and put up my own barres (banisters on the wall-worked great!), but, I had a hard time finding music. I didn't know where to go or what to do to get the information. Sure, Dance Magazine was published then but I was in a really small town in the South and couldn't find a copy anywhere. Finally the local library got a copy for me and I got some phone numbers and got started. It wasn't until later (MUCH LATER) that I found good age appropriate music for small dancers and ordered that. I had my studio broken into twice and all the 45 and 331/3 RPM records taken. I'm sure the thieves put them right in the trash when they realized they were mostly baby music! But, I still had to re-record them all. (no way at that time to record anything for use in class, just reel to reel).
I would have loved a mentor that would have helped me or at least gotten me on the right track. It took me years of trial and error to get anywhere. I got married about 4 years after I opened up that studio and we moved out of state. I found a teacher who said she would buy the studio (we had an arrangement that she would pay me a certain amount each month for 6 months and then it would be all hers). Well, she didn't pay me anything, just went to the landlord and said she was the new owner and signed a new lease and stole everything.
Boy, did I have to learn the hard way about lots of things even after that. Where was my mentor??
That is one reason among many that I try to help teachers find age appropriate music for their school.
We are a small personalized company that is trying to make a difference in dance teacher's lives.
So, please contact me if you need a helping hand getting started. I will give you free music to get you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment